intelligent structural solutions
This 1929 vintage building designed by Henry Meyers was constructed from hollow clay tiles in the early California mission architectural style. The very close proximity of the structure to the Hayward fault, coupled with antiquated construction methods and high sentimental value of the building in the surrounding community, presented significant seismic strengthening challenges.
The desire to preserve the a sizable amount of the building’s interior finishes and exterior appearance led to an innovative retrofit approach in which a 4” wythe of masonry was removed around the perimeter of the building. This provided space for the strengthening scheme. A new stucco finish was then applied to match the memorial’s original appearance, thus maintaining the original integrity of the building’s aesthetic.